It is one thing to make an observation. it is also another process to agree on it with another. It it is yet another to hypothesize a mechanism and then make predictions based on that new model. This is called
The observation that there is a seasonal variance worldwide leads to a hypothesis that this is due to the lack of sunlight being absorbed by the body due to the oblique tilt of the winter equinox. In certain populations of europeans who live in the northern hemisphere there is a general uptick for is Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter months.
Current research is based on this assumption is wrong. Thus the treatments are also wrong.
I will demonstrate how a false assumption can still lead to a correct conclusion.
SAD research results and the mixed results of Supplemental Light Treatment
Suicide rates Depression
Suicide and Mania at holidays
Maximal winter darkness is in December. Why/how are people with seasonal affective disorder report depression beginning in February? Sunlight is brighter and longer at that time of year. Does the idea of retinal/pineal sunlight really seem to be the right mechanism for the external causes of clinical depression on a global scale?
the scientific method:
- The scientific method is a way to ask and answer scientific questions by making observations and doing experiments.
- The steps of the scientific method are to:
- Ask a Question
- Do Background Research
- Construct a Hypothesis
- Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
- Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
- Communicate Your Results
- It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. A “fair test” occurs when you change only one factor (variable) and keep all other conditions the same.
- While scientists study how nature works, engineers create new things, such as products, websites, environments, and experiences.
- If your project involves creating or inventing something new, your project might better fit the steps of The Engineering Design Process.
- If you are not sure if your project is a scientific or engineering project, you should read Comparing the Engineering Design Process and the Scientific Method.